uSMART Mass Data Module
Permanent TIN Topology
Create a true 3-D triangulated irregular network.
Users can create true 3-D topology in the MDM (Mass Data Module) from the dynamic TIN topology that uSMART supports as SLines. With the permanent TIN topology, it is possible to triangulate any object: the ground surface including overhangs, the inside of a tunnel, a building, etc. Here are some advantages of creating permanent TIN topology in the MDM:
- It is memory efficient because it is not necessary to build topology on the fly as it is permanently stored with the triangles/shapes. Building or storing the topology in memory for e.g. contour generation or orthophoto production, can present problems due to the 32 bit Windows memory limitation and 64 bit Windows also does not solve all the problems.
- Massive areas can be contoured saving many hours of editing, connecting the contours where the job had to be split up into smaller parts.
- Orthophoto creation is very fast.
- Any surface or object can be triangulated in true 3-D e.g. tunnels, buildings, etc.
- The creation of sections in places where there are overhangs e.g. a road cutting is easy when utilising the full 3-D, permanent TIN topology capabilities of the MDM. The permanent TIN topology stores the relationship between the triangles which allows for the creation of sections regardless of the perspective.